Preventing Teen Dating Violence
Teen dating violence (TDV), also referred to as “dating violence”, affects millions of teens in the U.S. each year. It occurs between two people in a close relationship and includes:
- Physical violence
- Examples: Hitting, kicking, pushing
- Sexual violence
- Examples: Forcing a partner to take part in a sex act
- Psychological abuse
- Examples: Name-calling, insulting, threatening
- Examples: Repeated unwanted or threatening phone calls or messages, showing up unwanted
TDV can happen in person or electronically including repeated texting or posting sexual pictures of a partner online without their permission.
Facts about Teen Dating Violence
- Nearly 1 in 11 female and about 1 in 15 male high school students report having experienced physical dating violence in the last year
- About 1 in 9 female and 1 in 36 male high school students report having experienced sexual dating violence in the last year
Unhealthy or violent relationships can have severe short and long-term effects on a developing teen. For example, youth who are victims of TDV are more likely to:
- Experience symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Engage in unhealthy behaviors, like using tobacco, drugs, and alcohol
- Think about suicide
Teen Dating Violence is Preventable
The CDC developed Dating Matters®: Strategies to Promote Healthy Teen Relationships to stop teen dating violence before it starts. It focuses on teaching 11-14-year-olds healthy relationships skills and includes sections for kids, parents, schools, and neighborhoods.
Visit the Dating Matters website to learn more!
Need Help? Know someone who does?
- Love is Respect National Teen Dating Abuse Helplineexternal icon
- Call 1-866-331-9474 or TTY 1-866-331-8453
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network’s (RAINN) National Sexual Assault Hotlineexternal icon
- Call 800-656-HOPE (4673) to be connected with a trained staff member from a sexual assault service provider in your area.
- Visit rainn.orgexternal icon to chat one-on-one with a trained RAINN support specialist, any time 24/7.
AVENUES is here to help you 24 hours per day, 7 Days a week.